What Else Does GJI Have To Offer?

In a word – Help!

A central reference point for your gardening needs.

The blog offers help pages, a weather guide and a chance to comment on the journal entries

Also, links to:

Seed & plant catalogues, the main horticultural associations, organisations and societies, plus your favourite celebrity gardener’s websites and pages, as well as TV & Radio broadcasts. Read the latest articles and reports in horticulture, then catch up with gardening news from around the world.

Our New Google+ Page - BEE SAVED+ (dedicated to saving our bees)

Contributors

Wednesday 21 March 2012

Molly's Lotment - Wild flowers and More Weeding

Been busy again weeding the flower beds. The weather has been cloudy and overcast for most of the day. No complaints - perfect for doing those weeding jobs - not too cold and not too hot. We have did have an ancient plum tree growing in the middle of the top border.  Well actually, it was there long before I was and I formed the bed around it. It has not borne any fruit for as long as I can remember and the centre of the trunk was filled with powdery compost. Decision time - the 'man that can' came along with his chainsaw and I spent the morning clearing away thorny branches on to the trailer.


We took them down to the mill field to be shredded at a later date and I took time to look for the wild flowers growing there


Wild Strawberries


and primroses on the bank
Colt's foot




Trees in bud
I love this time of the year.


Back to work! 
Finished weeding and mulched the top soil with compost from the heap.
Top Border


Also planted out a box of foxgloves, grown last year from seed.


I try to grow most of my plants from seed  or divide the plants up where I can. Great to plant swap with friends and family.


Some of my plants


Two down and two to go!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Molly,

    sounds like you did the right thing with the old plum tree, I would have done the same thing. I never cut trees down unless absolutely necessary, but this specimen sounds like it was week and weary anyway, so would probably start harbouring diseases if you had kept it. Always sad to loose an old friend though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always sad to see a tree disposed of but in the long run better safe than sorry. I have been planting out foxgloves this month, only to find that when I water them in the dear old Blackbird comes and digs them out again looking for moisture. I have now have several water stations around the the garden, I tend to forget the birds when it is so dry. Keep up the good work,it keeps you fit.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.