What Else Does GJI Have To Offer?

In a word – Help!

A central reference point for your gardening needs.

The blog offers help pages, a weather guide and a chance to comment on the journal entries

Also, links to:

Seed & plant catalogues, the main horticultural associations, organisations and societies, plus your favourite celebrity gardener’s websites and pages, as well as TV & Radio broadcasts. Read the latest articles and reports in horticulture, then catch up with gardening news from around the world.

Our New Google+ Page - BEE SAVED+ (dedicated to saving our bees)

Contributors

Monday 5 March 2012

Molly's Lotment - Sowing and Growing

Flowering Cherry
Last week's glorious weather lulled us all into a false sense of security. And then come Sunday we had howling winds, cold grey down pours and even a dusting of snow on the surrounding hills. Every day, in spite of the change in the weather, the flowering cherry trees on the edge of the lawn seem to get that much 'pinker'. I wish I had a  video recorder on stand by to record the blooms as they unfurl and then play it back speeded up. It's only when you take a photo and then a few days later, another, that you notice how much things have moved on. The miraculous silence of  growth.


Today I really intended to weed my flower beds and borders. The sun has been shining for most of the day, but a biting wind persuaded me to take cover and potter about in the poly tunnel. First of all, a little trip round to see how things are coming along.


'Hispi' Cabbages
The cabbage seeds sown last October and planted out in January are starting to fill up quite well. I hoed between them with my favourite hoe. It's an ancient onion hoe really with a narrow semi circled blade. I bought it from a car boot a few years ago for no more than fifty pence, but it's so good for doing all sorts of hoeing jobs. I'm hoping the cabbage will be ready to start cutting in April, especially with the price of vegetables ever rising.






'All Year Round' Cauli
As well as sowing cabbage, I sowed a tray of 'All Year Round' cauliflowers the same time.
I planted them the opposite end of the tunnel but the slugs played havoc with them. I tried circling them with rings of sawdust. It did have a measure of success but I'm afraid I had to include a few blue mini pellets as well.
Tiny curds of cauliflower are just starting to form so hoping they will make it to full growth. Think I may have to give them a dressing of blood, fish and bonemeal to boost them up a bit.






'Bunyard's Exhibition' Broad Beans
Here are some broad beans, I sowed in a couple of seed trays. Other Half thinks that they are well ready to be planted out. I'm hanging back a bit. Last year I planted two lovely rows along the edge of the poly out of the seed trays. So proud of my work, only to find that our four legged little friends had, had what might be described as a 'bean feast' during the night - bitten into and eaten all the bean seeds away and left a trail of lifeless shoots on the top of the soil. Who is Head Gardener in your house?






Parsley
Do you ever buy those pots of herbs, they sell in the supermarket? I bought a little pot of parsley some time ago. Instead of having, one little plant as you might expect, there were actually a clump of them and I separated them out and planted a row in the top tunnel. They have worked out cheaper than buying a packet of seeds and are at this moment still going strong. 


For the remainder of the afternoon, I've been indulging in a bit of seed sowing. The 'Ailsa Craig' tomatoes, I sowed in a margarine tub on February 8th have, as yet  just one head above the parapet. The seed was last year's so I don't know if any more will grow or not. Hedging my bets, I've sown another tub of 'Alicante' today. The Brussel sprouts sown in February have germinated, but I sowed another small batch again today as well. The first pinch of lettuce sown in January have survived and made it into a square in the poly tunnel. The second batch have also germinated. I've found out the hard way that it's a lot wiser not to sow the whole packet in one go.


Happy Monday
Molly 









4 comments:

  1. Hi Molly, you have been busy, and everything looks so healthy! The currant price of veg is one reason why we have decided to grow more this year, like you said, the price keeps rising.

    I use Blood, Fish and Bone every spring and autumn. It's brilliant stuff. I also use Bone-meal every three years.

    Yes we all have to learn the big lesson about not planting a whole packet of seeds don't we? I think when you start out you are not as confident about what percentage might germinate. I remember as a teenager, thinking how wonderful it was that nearly the whole packet came up; until I realised it was hours and hours of work to transplant them all. Still, that in itself taught me how to sell things, so 'result' I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you notice the avid gardener's spelling mistake? I meant 'current price' on the first line. Oh dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz. Thank you for your comments. No of course I didn't notice the avid gardener's spelling mistake :) I am loving being part of this blogging project. Also enjoying reading other people's gardening journals across the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you are enjoying it. I have just put a question & answer section up on the blogs, so members can talk to each other about any questions or problems they might have. If I can drag myself away from the computer (and stop tinkering around with the blogs), I might even get some gardening done this week.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.