What Else Does GJI Have To Offer?

In a word – Help!

A central reference point for your gardening needs.

The blog offers help pages, a weather guide and a chance to comment on the journal entries

Also, links to:

Seed & plant catalogues, the main horticultural associations, organisations and societies, plus your favourite celebrity gardener’s websites and pages, as well as TV & Radio broadcasts. Read the latest articles and reports in horticulture, then catch up with gardening news from around the world.

Our New Google+ Page - BEE SAVED+ (dedicated to saving our bees)

Contributors

Thursday 1 March 2012

Molly's Lotment - Growing Our Own Vegetables

 This is such an exciting day for me, my first blog entry on Gardening Journal International - Wales and what a good day to start - March 1st - St David's Day. My love of plants and gardening started as a child. My grandfather lived with us on our small farm. I loved being in the garden with him. He grew most of our vegetables and the most wonderful spray chrysanthemums. I can still feel the icy dew on their leaves and the wonderful heady  scent that garden chrysanths have. I have lived in Mid Wales for most of my sixty eight years and in the same house for the last thirty five. We live in an old farm house and have a couple of acres of land incorporating the ruins of an old corn mill. The land was covered in scrub and brambles when we moved in and oh so stony. Bit by bit over the years we cleared and reseeded the main of it. During the 1980's I used to run a  Saturday market stall, just over the Welsh/English border, in Shrewsbury, selling our home grown vegetables. At the time we invested in three poly tunnels which although a bit battered  (like their owner), are still going strong. Old age, as they say, doesn't come on its own and now we only grow enough to keep our family fed and the few surplus to give away. My first photos are from my album. The ones that follow will be (fingers crossed) the ones I take as my gardening year 2012 unfolds.

A view of the hills

Land across from the old corn mill

Banks

Trees

Streams

And thistles



2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are as excited about this blog as me, I must admit I feel like a child waiting for Christmas at the moment; I am so looking forward to all the journals being written.

    Like you Molly, my love of plants started at an early age. I think that is true for many many gardeners'. Something magical happens at that age, when you are absorbing information like a sponge. A plant growing from almost nothing was amazing to me then (and still is now).

    It must be lovely living in the same family home for so long, especially an old farm house. I bet things are tough in winter though. My brother used to live in Swansea, when he was doing his degree, He lived on a riding School in the middle of nowhere. It was great for me, because I had fantastic holidays there, riding horses in exchange for mucking them out. I always went in the summer holidays (I was only about 10yrs old at he time), but my brother said the winter was harsh. Even where I live now, on the edge of the Derbyshire border, it can be several degrees colder than in the town down the road. I am really looking forward to reading your journal.

    'garddio hapus'

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, thank you for your kind comments. My daughter loves horses too. She has three of her own. She lives in an almost more remote place than we do - about twenty or so miles from Aberystwyth. I think she would be in seventh heaven working in a riding stables.

    The weather here can be problematic on times during the winter months, sometimes we are grounded for a few days and we have to be very careful about lagging our water pipes well as our water supply comes from a borehole at the top of the garden. Saying that, the rest of the seasons more than counteract any drawbacks. The weather has been gorgeous here today.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.